November 28, 2011

Edward Jay Epstein raises questions about the DSK scandal: Was it a set-up by Sark puppets?


In a story for the New York Review of Books, investigative journalist Edward Jay Epstein (The Hollywood Economist) provides a detailed chronological account of the events that took place at the Sofitel New York hotel on May 14th, 2011 that led to Dominique Strauss-Kahn being indicted (briefly) for attempted rape of hotel maid Nafissatou Diallo. Among the key revelations of the article are:

(1) that DSK was warned that his BlackBerry cell phone had been hacked and that his emails were appearing at the offices of UMP, the political party led by French President Nicholas Sarkozy, a man who DSK had, at the time, passed in popularity as a presidential candidate for the next election. Sometime in-between DSK’s 12:13 call to his daughter and his arrival at the airport, the BlackBerry went missing, was disabled, and has not been recovered.

(2) the Accor Group, which owns the Sofitel hotel, has various connections to Sarkozy. Someone at Accor was informed about the situation at the hotel before the police were called.

(3) another member of the hotel staff, Syed Haque, entered DSK’s room at 12:05pm, one minute before Diallo entered the room. It is possible he was still nearby or even in the room at the time of the alleged assault.

(4) Diallo entered DSK’s room at 12:06 and at 12:13 DSK called his daughter which means that the sexual attacks would have taken place in the intervening six or seven minutes.

(5) key card records show that before and after entering DSK’s room, Diallo also repeatedly entered another room on the same floor, Room 2820, whose guest had not yet checked out, and then did not mention the visits in her official statements–the identity of the guest is unknown as is Diallo’s motivation for not mentioning these activities to the prosecutors.

(6) an unidentified man accompanied Diallo to the hotel’s security office, and, in perhaps the strangest detail from the article, after the hotel called 911, video footage shows the unidentified man and Brian Yearwood, the hotel’s chief engineer, “high-five each other, clap their hands, and do what looks like an extraordinary dance of celebration that lasts for three minutes.”